We are fortunate to have the support of the following generous organizations.
- The Julia Ideson Library Preservation Partners
- The Friends of the Texas Room
- The Friends of the Houston Public Library
Consider joining the Friends of the Texas Room
What is a Friend?
The Friends of the Texas Room (FTxR) is a nonprofit organization comprised of community members who volunteer their time and skills to help maintain and expand the accessibility of services and collections of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center. This organization is dedicated to supporting and promoting the HMRC through programs, community involvement, and gifts.
Why We Need You:
- Your member contributions expand the library’s collections and programs, purchase equipment, and support special projects. Gifts of the FTxR to the HMRC to Date
- We play an important role in strengthening ties between the library and the community. Your advocacy enhances public awareness of the treasures to be found at the HMRC. HMRC Collections
- We provide crucial volunteer and financial assistance in the form of gifts to help fund critical needs and cover costs, which can be especially important to the library when budgets are reduced. We also fund materials and equipment that cannot be purchased with public funds. Your support can make all the difference!
- By spreading the word about the HMRC, its collections, services, and programs, we serve to position the library as the foremost resource for Houston history and to increase usage in the community.
- We encourage gifts of books and special collections materials to the HMRC which would be lost to the public were it not for your support.
Being a Friend Has Benefits:
- Photo reproductions- each member is allowed up to five photographic reproductions of their choice at half-price per year.
- Members-only events. Attend receptions, programs, and behind-the-scenes tours exclusively available to members.
- Memory Lab - Coming Soon! Be the first to work with our upcoming personal digital archiving station. Members will be granted early admission to the station and will be given access to members-only reservations for a shorter wait time.
- And, of course, you will have the opportunity to meet other people who share a passion for preserving Houston history and supporting the HMRC!
The FTxR is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible. All monies raised go to supporting the HMRC.
If you would like to be a Friend of the Texas Room, click here or stop by the library, get to know us, and pick up a membership form.