Planning Your Visit
- Although our address is 1300 Victor Street, the parking lot and entrance are around the corner at 1300 Cleveland Street.
- The streets in our area are one-way. Be mindful when using your GPS.
- The Reading Room on the 2nd floor can be a bit chilly; please bring a sweater or jacket.
- Digital photographs of unrestricted materials may be made without the use of a flash.
- Digital copies of microfilmed materials may be saved to a USB flash drive.
- Self-service photocopying is available. We do not have a change machine, so $1 bills or coins are necessary.
We recommend that you first browse our Archival Collections and Library Collections so that you can gauge what you would like to see prior to your visit. If you would like to see any of our archival materials, you will need to complete an Archival Use Form and review our rules during your visit. Our archivists and our collection development librarian will be happy to assist you.
In our second floor reading room, we have one catalog-only computer that patrons may use to search our online materials. We also have one computer designated as the Oral History Listening Station. These computers cannot access general search engines, email, or other non-HPL websites. Bring your laptop or tablet and use our free wi-fi for email and internet searches. Bring your earphones to listen to an oral history interview.
For Schools, Organizations, and Families
Visitors are welcome to view our galleries and exhibits. While we are not a children's library, we do have a small collection of books for young readers to enjoy in our reading room.
Educational Tours are encouraged. Please use our Field Trip Curriculum to enhance their visit.
Self-Guided Tours with Introductions
- Always welcome during regular business hours.
- Staff will provide an introduction to the library and Restored Classroom prior to self-guided tour.
- For groups of 10 or more, please contact us first. There may be other scheduled guided tours happening during the time you plan to visit, and informing us ahead of time can help ease crowding in the galleries.
Guided Tour Policies
- Offered during these times:
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays: 10:30am – 12noon and 1:30pm – 3pm
- Thursdays: 1pm – 3pm and 3pm – 5pm
- Require a minimum of 10 persons and a maximum of 50 persons.
- Large tours will be divided into groups.
- Length of tour: 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Tour groups will check in at the Welcome Desk in the lobby.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the time of your tour.
- Please notify us if you are running late. A late arrival of 30 minutes or more may result in a cancellation or a self-guided tour.
- Tour group members will maintain low to moderate voice levels in order to avoid disturbing other customers.
- Cell phones should be silenced prior to start of tour.
- Food and/or drink may not be consumed during any part of the tour.
- Artwork and collections may not be touched or photographed.
- Photographs are only allowed outside the building and in the lobby.
To book a guided tour:
Please complete the Guided Tour Request Form linked at the top of this page. You will need the following information:
- The full name, daytime phone number, and email address of the group's tour coordinator.
- The number of tour attendees.
- One adult chaperone (18 years or older) must be assigned to every 10 children.
- 3 suggested times and dates for your tour, to expedite processing.
While we are happy to process your request, please note that all requests are not guaranteed for approval. Please submit your request at least two weeks in advance of the date you wish to visit.