The Houston Area Library Automated Network (HALAN) serves public libraries in the Houston and East Central Texas area. It is an entity within Houston Public Library.
HALAN Mission Statement
To partner through technology to provide creative solutions to our information needs.
- Use leading-edge technology to provide most efficient and effective service to the client
- Assist library staff in the creation of a strong, coherent sense of place on the Internet, while ensuring that the library remains a useful and consistently innovative environment
- Serve clients in the evaluation, selection and implementation of electronic and technological resources
- Continually seek enterprises that provide both services to our community and funding for our operations
- Remain open to new ideas and partnerships.
Examples of services/products provided by HALAN include:
- Integrated Library System (ILS) - SirsiDynix Symphony and associated products (BLUEcloud Analytics, eResource Central, BLUEcloud Mobile, MobileCirc)
- Integrations with the ILS (e.g. EBSCO Discovery Service, automated materials handlers)
- 3rd-party website hosting (EBSCO Stacks)
- Database authentication (Open Athens, SIP2)
- Reservation system (Envisionware)
- eRate administration