Houston Public Library is committed to celebrating the diverse and culturally rich communities here in Houston through the broad array of programs and resources we offer. All programs are free, open to the public, and accessible by choice following the American Library Association Bill of Rights. The Library’s philosophy of open access to information and ideas extends to Library programming, and the library does not knowingly discriminate through its programming. Please refer to the Program Policy for program criteria, program types, and other requirements.
- Programs are planned and booked at least 6 months in advance; please refer to our Program Application Deadline dates below.
- All programs must align with the library's mission, priorities, its collections and/or services.
- Anyone who provides a program completes a Background Consent Form.
- Presenter/performers are encouraged to provide a professional letter of reference, and if payment is required, must submit a W-9. Please complete, scan and upload these documents as instructed on the application.
- Approval does not guarantee that you will be hired for events, however it clears you to proceed if your application is selected.
- Effective July 1, 2019, all prospective program presenter/performers, must use the following online application and cannot submit one for consideration via email, telephone, mail or in person.
- Library staff are expected to direct all interested parties to this webpage/online Program Application and offer general assistance.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Staff can only engage presenters/performers who have submitted a Program Application and have been notified of approval.
- HPL will send a receipt for submission of the application and an email if the program has been approved.
- January 15: for programs in May, June, July
- April 15: for programs in August, September, October
- July 15: for programs in November, December, January
- October 15: for programs in February, March, April