Watch this video to get acquainted with our use polices and rules of the research room.
Before you make the trip, fill out the appropriate form below.
HMRC Visitor and Researcher Forms
- For group tours, class field trips or curious Houston explorers, please fill out the Visitor Form. You will be able to enter the room but will not be permitted to use any materials.
- If you would like to use any of our materials, please fill out the Researcher Form.
Your completed form will be on file in the Texas Room. Just lock away your belongings and show the reference staff your ID to get checked in!
Before visiting, consider contacting us with your research inquiry. Some of our materials, such as architectural drawings and photographs, require an appointment with our staff to meet your needs due to the large size, location, or fragile nature.
Call 832-393-1662 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a reminder:
Research Room and Collection Use Policies
The purpose of the following rules is to preserve historically valuable materials for future generations. Failure to comply with all the rules may result in being refused further access to the archives. Additional measures and restrictions to preserve materials are at the discretion of the staff.
- Researchers must bring a government issued ID to view archival materials
- We are an ink-free facility. Pencils, note taking materials, cell phones, and personal computers are allowed in the Texas Room.
- All other personal property shall be stored in secure lockers which are provided free of charge. HMRC is not responsible for the security of personal belongings.
- No materials in the custody of HMRC may be removed from the Texas Room.
- Personal property and research notes may be inspected before leaving.
- Please do not re-shelve or return any materials.
- Food, beverages, and other consumables, such as gum, tobacco, and cough drops, are not allowed in the Texas Room.
- Personal communication devices should be set to vibrate or turned off.
- Please take all calls outside of the Texas Room.
- Use of cameras and some personal scanning devices may be allowed with staff approval.
- Additional light or physical contact is damaging to the materials and is not allowed.
Please note: The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright, literary property rights, privacy, and libel.
Entry to the facility is through the main entrance on McKinney or though the garden on the Lamar and Smith sides of the building.
*If you are interested in visiting other public areas in the Julia Ideson Building, such as the 2nd floor Reading Room and the Exhibit Hall, we recommend that you call 832-393-1662 in advance to confirm availability.
Parking is available in the garage beneath the Central Library on the same block for $2 per hour. Entry to the garage is on Lamar Street.
Tuesdays: 10 AM - 6 PM
Wednesdays: 10 AM - 6 PM
Thursdays: 12 PM - 8 PM
Fridays: 10 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: 10 AM - 5 PM