Get Graphic! Comic Book Contest!
February 1 – August 15, 2020
Are you an artist? Are you into creating comic style short stories? Here’s your chance to show off your talent! Enter by August 15, 2020. Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place winners.
- Limited to amateur illustrators only (ages 11-18, grades 6-12)
- All artwork, dialogues, and plot must be original, unpublished content.
- Teens can work individually or in teams of up to 4 creators. This will be considered a single entry and team members will split the prize.
- Comics must be a minimum of 4 pages and maximum of 14 pages.
- Paper Size = Min. 8.5” x 11” , Max. 11” x 17”
- 1 page = 1 side of paper.
- Two of the first three pages must have at least 2 cells.
- Color or B&W artwork is allowed. Original computer-generated artwork is allowed.
- HPL reserves the right to reproduce submissions, but author/illustrator can retrieve their original art after the contest.
- Digital entries are not allowed. One entry per individual or team.
Entries will be Judged on:
- Art – Creativity & Illustration (only the first 3 pages)
- Plot – Whole submission
- Dialogue – Whole submission
- Originality – Whole submission
Who can enter:
- Teens (grades 6-12, ages of 11-18)
What you can submit:
- Your own original comic book with a minimum of 4 pages and maximum of 14 pages.
- Each entry must have an entry form attached.
Where to submit:
- Entries will need to be mailed to:
- Houston Public Library
Attn: Rebecca Denham
Teen Comic Creation Contest
500 McKinney St.
Houston, TX 77002
- Houston Public Library
When is the submission deadline:
- August 15, 2020.
Spilled Ink Contest
Teen Writing Contest | July 1 - September 30, 2019
HPL’s second annual Spilled Ink: Teen Writing Contest garnered participants from around Greater Houston and competition was fierce! A huge “thank you” to you everyone who participated in or helped promote this program. We had many great entries from which to choose.
Middle and High School students were encouraged to submit their poetry or short stories for consideration. This contest judged submissions on three fronts: originality; use of language; and technical skill. Entries were assigned a number according to their category before being submitted to our Writing Contest Judges. Judges did not discover the name, age, gender or geographic location of entries until after the winning entries had been selected for all categories.
Spilled Ink 2019 winners are:
Questions? Contact Us