Groomed for Literacy is a partnership between the Houston Public Library and Put It In A Book Foundation. Groomed for Literacy aims to address the literacy gap for underserved youth and to promote a love for reading by expanding access to quality books in communities. The program supports placement of Little Free Libraries stocked with books in barbershops citywide.
The goals of Groomed for Literacy:
- Increase the number of books in the community
- Increase the number of books in the home
- Provide library resources to youth and their families in support of literacy attainment
- Create a vehicle for community members to partner in support of literacy advancement
- Support citywide efforts for kindergarten readiness and reading at grade level
- Increase public awareness regarding the importance of access to books and literacy
- Increase the number of Little Free Libraries within the city
Groomed for Literacy Kick-off!
Saturday, September 24 | 10AM – 12PM
Scenic Woods Regional Library | 10677 Homestead Rd.
The Groomed for Literacy pilot will commence in the Scenic Woods Community (North Houston) through the Scenic Woods Regional Library and in partnership with Hott Blocc Barbershop as part of National Literacy Month and National Barbershop Observation Month.
If you would like to donate, volunteer and/or partner with HPL in this endeavor, please contact 832.393.1313 or email us.
Calling All Barbers!
If you want to be make a difference and be a part of the change necessary to help our youth, then take these three important steps:
Step 1: Sign Up!
Sign Up to be a participating barbershop and have books placed in your barbershop.
Step 2: Speak Up!
Tell other reputable barber and barbershop owners about the program so they can get involved.
Step 3: Show Up!
Attend the program launch event on Saturday, September 24, 2016, 10 AM -12 PM to participate in the building of the Little Free Libraries that will house the books that go into the barbershops.
Don’t delay, Act Today!
For more information call 832.393.1313 or email us.