Dedicated to helping create Complete Communities
We are extremely grateful to the Houston community's support for the Houston Public Library. On Tuesday, November 7, the community voted in favor of an ambitious, multiyear capital improvement plan to transform our library system across the city.
Envision a comprehensive library system with 7 Full-service Libraries, 17 TECHLinks, 23 Neighborhood Libraries, 7 HPL Express Locations and our 4 Special Collections which will provide the greatest impact on Houstonians of all ages, ethnicities and life stages no matter where you live or travel.
“Through the decades, the Houston Public Library has striven to transform with the evolving needs of our community, from bridging the gap in technology, building state-of-the-art facilities, and developing services and programs for all ages,” stated Dr. Rhea Brown Lawson, director, Houston Public Library. “This vote of confidence from our community is truly inspiring. We are excited and prepared to set the stage for advancing the library into the future and helping make an even stronger and resilient Houston."
The comprehensive neighborhood capital improvement plan includes:
- Providing the Houston community more effective and equitable access to the Library’s services, collections, and technology in the communities where they live, work, and raise their families
- Continuing to provide access to services and resources such as computers, technology instruction, children’s and teen programs, student resources, job search assistance, and variety of book and e-Book collections.
Helping Houston Rebuild After Hurricane Harvey
We are here to help our fellow neighbors and friends rebuild their lives after Hurricane Harvey. Some of our libraries have been impacted by the hurricane, and we are working diligently to open as many locations as possible and provide the resources Houstonians need.
Resources available at our open locations:
- Free WiFi!
- Access to computers
- Check out Hotspots which gives you WiFi-on-the-go on unlimited devices (select locations)
- Programs and activities for children and teens
- Help with preserving family memorabilia
Mini Library Locations Now Open
Kashmere Multiservice Center
Serving the communities of McCrane-Kashmere Gardens Neighborhood Library.
Northeast Multiservice Center
Serving the communities of Lakewood Neighboorhood Library.
Weekley Family YMCA
Serving the communities of McGovern-Stella Link Neighborhood Library
**Please note: this mini location has limited service, including holds pickup and book drop off during hours of operation. Please visit Jungman Neighborhood Library for other services, including computer access, passports, and notary service.**
We've received tons of offers to volunteer and donate items to help us get our libraries back on their feet. We truly appreciate all of your heartfelt and earnest generosity and selflessness. Please contact our Houston Public Library Foundation and Friends of HPL regarding any donations or volunteer opportunities. These organizations are spearheading these wonderful efforts to help make HPL better than ever in the years to come.
Need WiFi access at home? Check out a Hotspot and gain WiFi access on the go. You can connect multiple devices for WiFi anywhere you are at anytime with a HPL Hotspot. Visit these locations to check-out a Hotspot today.
- Carnegie Neighborhood Library and Center for Learning
- Central Library
- Henington-Alief Regional Library
- HPL Express Southwest
- Johnson Neighborhood Library
- Jungman Neighborhood Library
- Mancuso Neighborhood Library
- Moody Neighborhood Library
- Park Place Regional Library
- Shepard-Acres Homes Neighborhood Library
- Smith Neighborhood Library
- Stanaker Neighborhood Library
- Stimley-Blue Ridge Neighborhood Library
- Young Neighborhood Library
We encourage you to continue to check this page for latest information about our building and facility projects.